CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

New waterproof Labels! Woooo!

We've made out own labels for 4 years.. Just regular old no frills labels because it allowed us to charge less for product. To have our labels done professionally with waterproof backing and ink, it would cost between $2 and $3 per label! That means we'd have to add that to the price of the product. A 10 oz bottle of body wash would cost $10.99 instead of $7.99 and a 6 oz body butter would cost $9.99 instead of $6.99. Plus, this allows us to change them up as needed and to make new labels right away as soon as a new product has been introduced.
Our store customers never seemed to mind that the ink ran or the labels washed off... It always irked me but hubby said it adds to the essence of "hand made" and to get them and rack prices up by $3 a pop just wasn't a god idea. But...  I've been hearing about it with my online sales so I decided to take a trip to staples to get some waterproof labels. Well, in order to get what I'd need, I would have to buy a special laser printer that only used waterproof ink. Only one company int he world makes both the ink and printer, and right now we're really not in a position to remortgage our house to buy a printer (they're in the triple digits!) So, I will now be adding a protective clear plastic label over top of the regular labels to keep water out and to keep them from peeling or running. I'm not quite sure how this will affect price yet. It's cheaper than professional labels and the special printer, but it's an added expense plus they all need to be hand cut from a 8 x 10 sheet.
The price jump shouldn't be more than a quarter and it won't go in to effect for a little bit yet, so it's not breaking the bank :)

13 comments:

Nina said...

I'd rather have non waterproof labels than pay 2-3 dollars extra. I already have to pay more because of the CAN$/US$ exchange rate...

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I wonder if people are actually remarking about the labels online because it is easier? I mean, if I bought from you offline, I'd be very scared to tell you about the labels. Online, it's not so bad because you don't know me, and if I want I can even make myself anonymous (like now!). So perhaps selling online has added bonuses besides money, like being able to find out what your customers really think about your items.

Anonymous said...

I think I read somewhere you have another Etsy shop? If so, could I have the link?

by BB*Jayde said...

Actually, I think it's because they don't care because they're saving $.
My store is about 1000 ft away from a Bath and Body works and there's an Avon stand on the other side of the mall.. We would kill them. I'm surprised they haven't gone out of business yet.
It bugged me too. I ALWAYS complained to hubby about it and I told him it would only be a matter of time before someone got annoyed with it... I'm surprised it took this long actually.
Well, at least with the coating I can keep the prices the same. I don't think a quarter will bankrupt us :)

by BB*Jayde said...

Oh, and no.. I don't have another Etsy shop... ???

by BB*Jayde said...

Oh, and with all that being said, if you have any suggestions, please don't be afraid to tell me! I'm making these products for YOU. So, if you'd like to see something else or something different, or something done differently, just lemme know :)

gina said...

Well, it's not a deal breaker to me, whether you charge more for your amazing products or not...even if the labels come off. Fact of the matter is, as a woman with pesky skin, your products have been a life saver to me and worth every penny and then some. I have NO complaints at a price increase because I KNOW the products actually work. And really, even with a price increase you still have WELL-PRICED awesome superb products!!!!!

I do think a waterproof label for the skin washes would be great-but like I said, none of it really matters in the long run!

Anonymous said...

Maybe just put the water proof labels on the products that will go in the shower(Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shaving cream, etc)?

I'm with Gina though, price raise or not I would still buy because your products work.

Anonymous said...

I read about the ink running on a label so before I gifted the 5 oz bottle of body wash I just put clear packing tape over it. Looked just fine and took just a minute. Hope that helps.

Sayde said...

Honey, you could package your stuff in a brown paper bag or an empty pickle jar and I will keep buying it because it's the best damn thing I have ever rubbed on my body.

I have been buying B&B off etsy for 3 years and I would always be drawn into the top sellers products with their fancy looking bottles/jars and bows. I can tell ya that the novelty wore off once I used the product and they were nothing to write home about. Same goes for the skin care counters at the department stores. The smells were good, but that was about it.
You have a gift child!!! You oughta send a sample box to Cosmopolitan magazine. I'm for real. I wanna see you make it big time.

vjbakke said...

Would covering your labels with packaging tape work? Thats what I did in the past and it worked. I don't have a problem with your labels, doesn't bother me one bit! :)

by BB*Jayde said...

OMG Valerie! Your kids are sooo cute <3 Now I see why your daughter needs no poo LOL Her hair is awesome! I wish mine would hold curl.

I got some lamination and clear labels to stick over them. The laminating strips seem to work the best because they're completely clear... but they're a PITA to trim and try to get on without wrinkling them :(
I want to do a total label revamp and try to get the image and text all on the same label... so i'm not spending a half hour trimming down 2 labels per product and then having to trim 2 pcs of laminate. If I can get the logo in the middle and ingredient list on the one side where it wraps and the directions on the other side, I'd be good to go. I wonder if Vista Print makes labels? I just ordered some awesome banners from them for our farmer's market tents.. I can't wait to see how they turn out. Or, ya know what would be even better.. If I could get someone on Etsy to make me a silk screen, I could just hot silk stamp the bottles instead of labeling them. I'm gonna order new bodywash/shampoo bottle next week too.. Softer ones.

Callie said...

I seriously don't care about labels being waterproof or not. It bothers me, a little, but I care more about what is inside. I would just put clear tape on top anyways to keep it from smudging and getting gross. Problems solved! Hooray!